Two legacies of caring
One ministry of change
CommonSpirit was created by the alignment of Catholic Health Initiatives and Dignity Health as a single ministry in early 2019.
The CommonSpirit name was inspired by scripture: “Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good” (1 Corinthians 12:7 NIV). Those words motivate and guide us every day. They celebrate the healing gift of compassion that God gives to us all, and they remind us of our calling to serve the common good.
Founded by women religious, both health systems have a long, proud legacy of serving all people in need, especially those who’ve been made vulnerable by poverty, age, and other hardships. CommonSpirit Health is continuing these legacies by actively advocating for positive social change.
The participating congregations behind CommonSpirit Health:
- Benedictine Sisters of Annunciation Monastery
- Benedictine Sisters of Mother of God Monastery
- The Congregation of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word
- Dominican Sisters of Peace
- Dominican Sisters of St. Catherine of Siena
- Franciscan Sisters of Little Falls, Minnesota
- Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati
- Sisters of Charity of Nazareth
- Sisters of Mercy of the Americas, West Midwest Community
- The Sisters of St. Dominic, Congregation of the Most Holy Rosary
- Sisters of St. Francis of Colorado Springs
- Sisters of St. Francis of Penance and Christian Charity, St. Francis Province
- Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia
- Sisters of St. Francis of the Immaculate Heart of Mary
- Sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- Sylvania Franciscans Third Order of St. Dominic, Congregation of the Most Holy Name
St. Joseph’s Training School for Nurses
Sisters of St Francis of Philadelphia